söndag 20 juni 2010

Midsummer Magic!



I recently went to Hungary for a workshop with Carolyn Hillyer. I found and connected with a new group of sisters from Hungary, Germany, Czechoslovakia and England. We talked a lot about old traditions and I promised to share some of the rituals I do each Midsummer.

For many years I have done the same rituals. Some of them have come to be the most important rituals I do during the year. I do the morning rituals before I speak a single word.

First I cut a twig of a Rowan (rönn) tree. This twig is put over my front door to protect my house from evil energies.



Next I pick some Mugwort(gråbo). The first plant I dig up with its roots. I collect any small stones or grabbles attached to the roots. These stones I keep for the rest of the year and use in different banishing rituals.
I also tie a wreath using the mugwort. As I tie each piece to the wreath I bind my troubles and sorrows into the wreath. When finished, I do a short meditation to ensure that every feeling is bind to the green herb. Before the sun sets I throw the wreath into the water, a lake, a river, the sea. One year I wasn´t near any water but instead I threw my wreath into a fire. Last year we couldn´t find any mugwort and used nettles instead - worked out fine!

During the evening I collect different herbs and flowers that I use in various spells, talismans and incense during the rest of the year.
Before I go to sleep, I do as many other Swedish women, I go out into the light summer night and pick a bouquet of seven different flowers. It`s an old custom to put the bouquet under the pillow and if you are lucky – you can see your future love in your dreams.

The main theme for this day is collecting the midsummer energy and storing it to bbe used for the rest of the year.

1 kommentar:

  1. A lovely summer solstice to all - especially the elves ...

    SvaraRadera